10 Functions Of Social Welfare In Nigeria.Learn A Great Deal On The Functions Of Social Welfare In Nigeria. Learn More Here.
Are you wondering what the functions of the social welfare in Nigeria are? Wonder no more as I have answers to the questions you might want to ask. I have put together the functions of the social welfare in Nigeria which would be very helpful to you. Let us first examine what social welfare is before we go into the functions.
What is social welfare?
Social welfare simply refers to a system which is most times a government program that helps and assists members of the society especially in rural areas in alleviating poverty and making their lives better and worth living.
What are functions of social welfare in Nigeria?
Social welfare in Nigeria has a number of functions among which I have picked the 10 most important functions that would be very helpful to you. They are:
- To alleviate poverty from among the members of the society
- It provides economic or financial help for those in need
- It provides for health care for the elderly
- It provides for health care for the sick
- Provides health insurance for children
- Provides nutritional supplements as assistance to the members of the society
- It provides a sort of health education for the members of the public
- It helps in providing sex education for girls especially in rural areas
- It encourages members of the public to improve or engage in activities for their own benefits
- Provides social amenities for the members of the public especially in rural areas
10 Functions Of Social Welfare In Nigeria.
1. TO ALLEVIATE POVERTY FROM AMONG THE MEMBERS OF THE SOCIETY
The primary function of the social welfare of Nigeria is to help members of the public in alleviating poverty. This is by far the most important function of the social welfare of Nigeria. This function is mostly directed at the disadvantaged people in the society or the less privilege. We all know that they are so many poor and disadvantages people in Nigeria especially those in the rural areas which need to benefit from the social welfare program or policy.
Read Also: List Of 774 Local Governments In Nigeria
2. IT PROVIDES ECONOMIC OR FINANCIAL HELP FOR THOSE IN NEED
This is another very important function of the social welfare of Nigeria in that they help in providing economic or financial assistance or help for those in Need. There are a lot of people that have so many ideas in their heads waiting to start up a business but they have no means of acquiring the capital needed for the business to run. It the job of the social welfare in Nigeria to help these people benefit from this service
3. IT PROVIDES FOR HEALTH CARE FOR THE ELDERLY
This is another function of the social welfare of Nigeria which is to provide health care services for the elderly in the society. This means that the elderly ones that are not able to get or success proper health care services in the societies should be entitled to this program. The purpose of providing health care services for the elderly is the fact that they are more vulnerable than the younger ones in the society. Older people are said to be more prone to diseases and sickness which is why we need to prolong their lives by providing proper Medicare for them.
4. IT PROVIDES FOR HEALTH CARE FOR THE SICK
This is another very important function of the social welfare of Nigeria. They help in providing health care services for the sick in the society. It is important to note that because resources are scarce, it might not be necessary that the social welfare of Nigeria provides health care services to everyone but they are targeted at assisting the less privileged and poor sick people in the society.
5. PROVIDES HEALTH INSURANCE FOR CHILDREN
It is important that not only elderly people are prone to having diseases and sickness as they have low immunity compared to youths but also children tend to suffer a lot of diseases if not properly taken care of because they have not properly built their immunity. It is the job of the social welfare in Nigeria to help provide for health insurance for children in places that it is quite difficult for kids to access health care.
Read Also: 10 Functions Of Man O War Nigeria You Need To Know
6. PROVIDES NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS AS ASSISTANCE TO THE MEMBERS OF THE SOCIETY
This is also a very important function of the social welfare in Ni9geria which is to provide nutritional supplements as assistance to members of the societies. This is because a lot of people especially in rural areas suffer from malnutrition due to their poor state and inability to feed themselves and their families. This function could be carried out as a scheme so as to reach as many poor and less privileged ones as possible.
7. IT PROVIDES A SORT OF HEALTH EDUCATION FOR THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC
Another important function of the social welfare in Nigeria that we cannot do away with is the fact that they help to provide a sort of health education for the members of the public. Many people get into troubles because of lack of knowledge. For this reason, this function was established. It seeks to educate the general public on issues pertaining to health as a means of prevention.
8. IT HELPS IN PROVIDING SEX EDUCATION FOR GIRLS ESPECIALLY IN RURAL AREAS
This is another basic function of the social welfare in Nigeria which is to provide sex education for girls especially girls in the rural areas. They do this in order to help the girl child get educated in aspects that concerns sex. Today, many girls suffer assaults as well as brain washing by men. This can be avoiding by providing adequate information for them.
9. IT ENCOURAGES MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC TO IMPROVE OR ENGAGE IN ACTIVITIES FOR THEIR OWN BENEFITS
This function of the social welfare in Nigeria cannot be overemphasized. Since its primary aim is to reduce poverty in the society, it also helps to encourage members of the public to improve or engage in activities for their own benefits.
Read Also: List Of APC Governors And Their States
10. PROVIDES SOCIAL AMENITIES FOR THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC ESPECIALLY IN RURAL AREAS
This function is also by far one of the most important functions that probably people only know of the social welfare in Nigeria. They also help the members of the public by providing some social amenities that would be needed especially in local areas like the rural areas.